Wednesday, March 01, 2006

More Book Stuff

Over at his blog, my good friend Nakia talks about Nick Hornby's The Polysyllabic Spree. I confess that I've never actually read Hornby, though I imagine I'd like his stuff. Movies based on his work were a mixed bag for me. I loved "About a Boy" but disliked "High Fidelity". Anyway, Nakia posts the following quote:
"All the books we own, both read and unread, are the fullest expression of self we have at our disposal. . . With each passing year, and with each whimsical purchase, our libraries become more and more able to articulate who we are, whether we read the books or not." (125)
I have to say I mostly agree with this. My book collection does come pretty close to communicating who I am as a person. To get the full picture, you'd need to see what I've been listening to on my iPod and check out the athletic/outdoor gear in my closet. But the books get you most of the way there. Here's a small sampling of what's on my shelves:
  • Almost everything by Neil Gaiman, prose and graphic novel, including the coplete Sandman collection
  • Alan Moore's Watchmen, Promethea, and The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (and others)
  • The Lord of the Rings, by J.R.R. Tolkien (red leather collected edition)
  • The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams (leatherbound collected version)
  • Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell: A Novel, by Susanna Clarke
  • The Historian, by Elizabeth Kostova
  • A leather bound collected edition of Dracula and Frankenstein
  • Stranger in a Strange Land, by Robert Heinlein.
  • The Baroque Cycle, Cryptonomicon, and Diamond Age by Neil Stephenson
  • A collected version of Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd & the Gray Mouser stories
  • The recent Harry Potter books (I borrowed the earlier ones)
  • Dies the Fire by S.M. Stirling
  • Guns, Germs, and Steel, by Jared Diamond
  • A History of God, by Karen Armstrong
  • The Age of Spiritual Machines, by Ray Kurzweil
  • An enormous rpg collection featuring many books for GURPS, Vampire, Dungeons & Dragons, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Castle Falkenstein, Warhammer FRP, and In Nomine

No comments: