Sunday, November 26, 2006

Single Parent Blues

My wife is in Europe for the week and it's time for me to experience life as a single parent. My wife's been traveling a lot throughout the fall, but this is the longest trip by far. More importantly, it's the first time she's been gone for two consecutive weekends. Weekends are doubly difficult because without extended family to help out, I basically don't have any time for myself (except for a short time after the little boy goes to sleep).

That being said, this weekend was an excellent time to bond with my son. With excellent weather, we made two trips into the District. The boy's too young to really appreciate museums just yet, but I was able to meet up with out-of-town friends who also have children. And having just started walking within the last few weeks, my son was having a ball wandering around the American Indian Museum. Today, we had even more fun at the zoo. Since I didn't have to worry about anybody else keeping up, I was able to quickly motor his stroller to all the big animals that I know he'd appreciate (and little animals too... he loved the small mammal house).

Alas, there is a still a part of me that is struggling with the demands of parenthood. Even with my wife home, I've lost most of the time I used to use for creativity. I find that I'm having a really hard time finding the time/energy to prepare for games, do personal technical projects, blog, and even continue studying my Chinese (which, I'm sorry to say, I haven't touched in months).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there buddy, I'd like to say it gets better but... I thought after school was done I would have tons of free time to express myself but I still only have an hour after work and about two hours after he goes to sleep to myself. Weekends are used up doing things around the house and getting ready for the holidays. Kirstin and I take turns giving each other a night off which works out well. the other day I walked up to the starbucks and just read a book. She has book club once a month and cooking classes about twice a month. Keep trying as I love reading your blog.

Billy D.